The Kelvin TOP-SET 2-Day Intermediate Investigator course is designed for anyone who may be part of an incident investigation team. This course teaches attendees the ideas underpinning the TOP-SET methodology, and the specific steps of the process of investigating an incident using TOP-SET. The course covers every aspect of investigating an incident including formulation of the incident statement, planning of the investigation, gathering and storage of data, good practice in interviewing, Storyboarding with Time-line, Root Cause Analysis and formulation of SMART actions.
Delegates undertake a range of practical exercises and interactive case study work to reinforce the learning points. Active participation is encouraged throughout the course to give attendees the chance to share experiences and interact with each other and the Kelvin TOP-SET tutors.
Continuous assessment with feedback is included in the course, along with homework exercises to maximise the learning experience and to ensure mastery of the process. The course culminates in a full and demanding case study with an animation of the incident.
Participants are also given free 30-day access to the e-RCA online Root Cause Analysis course and the option to purchase a full life-time e-RCA licence at a preferential rate.
The suggested progression from the 1-day course is to the 3-day course. For delegates attending the 2-day course, they may progress to the 3-day course, but there are a number of topics which are identical, the biggest of which is Interviewing. So, if there is some doubt in their minds, prospective delegates would be much better to do the 3-day course in the first instance, remembering too, that it's the only course from which they can progress to become an In-Company Tutor.
This course can be run in-house course on request.
Participants at the end of the course ought to:
- appreciate the value of the Action card
- The Action card is at the heart of TOP-SET. It is an aide-memoire which supports the investigator throughout the process
- understand the importance of the Incident Statement
- The Incident Statement is fundamental to the investigation process, and is the key starting point for an accurate Root Cause Analysis
- know how to plan an investigation
- In the TOP-SET system there are two features of planning: the detailed preparation which includes your Terms of Reference, and the more creative ‘planning’, using the TOP-SET Indicators, which is fundamental to a thorough investigation
- know how to conduct an effective interview
- Interviewing is a skill which can be enhanced by self-awareness, an understanding of specific techniques, and by practice
- know how to record information on the Storyboard, along with a time-line
- The Storyboard offers a dynamic environment which supports the sharing of facts and ideas, and encourages productive discussion within the team
- be able to construct and justify a TOP-SET Root Cause Analysis (RCA)
- The development of a logical analysis is the culmination of a successful investigation. It relies on sound problem-solving abilities
- know how to compile a series of SMART actions
- Realistic and reasonable SMART actions, based on the analysis, are a key feature of an effective investigation and report
- be able to use the RCA e-learning program
- e-learning is designed to provide practice in TOP-SET Root Cause Analysis. i.e. to enhance, and help maintain, competence and confidence in using this technique
Participants will receive a Kelvin TOP-SET ‘2-Day Intermediate Course’ certificate on successful completion of the course.
This course equates to 14 hours of CPD
If you are considering using an external venue to run an in-house course, we may well be able to help. We have an excellent relationship with a local hotel which offers very reasonable preferential rates to all of our clients for conference rooms and accommodation. The hotel is close to our global headquarters so booking a course here will also give you the chance to meet some of our core team to discuss any issues or address any questions that you may have. The venue is easily reached via Prestwick or Glasgow International airports in under an hour, so is ideal if you need to fly delegates in to the course from multiple locations. Please contact us for further information and rates.